Nestled in the heart of rural America, Amish Country beckons travelers with its picturesque landscapes and a glimpse into a simpler way of life. Visiting Amish Country is like stepping into a living history book, where horse-drawn buggies and pristine farmlands replace the hustle and bustle of modern life. In this guide, we explore the best places to see in Amish Country, where to savor authentic local cuisine, and other popular topics to make your visit truly memorable.
Where to Eat in Amish Country
1. The Amish Kitchen: A Culinary Haven Discover the essence of traditional Amish cuisine at The Amish Kitchen, a charming restaurant that serves hearty, home-cooked meals. From savory pot pies to melt-in-your-mouth shoofly pie, the menu offers a delectable journey into authentic flavors. Don’t miss the opportunity to dine family-style for a communal experience that mirrors Amish community values.
2. Miller’s Bakery: Sweet Temptations Indulge your sweet tooth at Miller’s Bakery, a quaint establishment known for its mouthwatering pastries and handcrafted desserts. Be sure to try the whoopie pies and fresh-baked bread – they are local favorites that capture the essence of Amish baking traditions.
What to See in Amish Country
1. The Amish Farm and House: A Living Museum Step back in time at The Amish Farm and House, a living museum that offers guided tours of a genuine Amish farmhouse. Gain insights into the Amish way of life, their history, and the enduring values that have shaped generations. Wander through the beautifully preserved gardens and witness daily activities that showcase the simplicity and resilience of Amish culture.
2. Strasburg Rail Road: Journey Through History Experience the charm of locomotion from a bygone era at the Strasburg Rail Road. This historic train ride takes you through the scenic Amish countryside, offering breathtaking views of pristine farmlands and charming villages. Immerse yourself in the rhythmic sounds of the locomotive as you travel through time aboard meticulously restored vintage railcars.
Beyond the Beaten Path
1. Amish Quilt Shops: A Tapestry of Tradition Explore the rich artistic heritage of the Amish by visiting local quilt shops. These establishments showcase exquisite handmade quilts, each telling a story through vibrant colors and intricate patterns. Purchase a quilt as a cherished souvenir and a piece of Amish craftsmanship to adorn your home.
2. Buggy Rides: Embrace the Leisurely Pace For a truly immersive experience, take a buggy ride through the rolling hills and charming villages of Amish Country. Enjoy the unhurried pace as you clip-clop along scenic routes, passing horse-drawn plows and farmers working in the fields. It’s a unique opportunity to connect with the Amish way of life on a personal level.
Visiting Amish Country is an enchanting journey into a world where time seems to stand still. As you explore the best places to see, savor authentic cuisine, and embrace the unique traditions, you’ll find yourself captivated by the enduring charm of this tranquil oasis. Whether it’s the warmth of the people or the breathtaking landscapes, Amish Country promises a respite from the ordinary and a chance to appreciate life’s simple pleasures.
Amish Country Gallery
Tours visiting Amish Country
Great Eastern Cities
The Grand East