Madrid is a city that knows how to live. It’s a city that offers amazing architecture, world-class galleries, plenty of history, amazing food and an epic nightlife. If you’re into all of these things mentioned, then no doubt you’ll fall in love with Madrid.
Intrigued? Here are 11 astounding facts about Madrid.
1. Madrid was created around the year of 860 A.C
2. It has been the capital of Spain since the 17th century
3. According to FIFA, Real Madrid FC is the world’s most successful football club of the 20th Century
4. Madrid is one of the greenest cities in Europe
5. It has more cloudless days than virtually any other city in Europe
6. The official symbol of Madrid is a bear rearing up on its hind legs feasting on berries from the madroño tree
7. Madrid is the third largest city in the EU, after London and Berlin
8. The population of Madrid has grown by more than 2 million people since the 1900’s
9. It’s the highest capital city in Europe
10. The name Madrid comes from the Arabic “magerit” which means ‘place of many streams’
11. It is home to the Warner Brothers Movie World which is Spain’s own kind of Disney World
Fancy experiencing this epic place? Travel Talk offer 7 – 15 day tours that visit Madrid. Find out more about this tours here.